Who says you have to look your age? With incredible scientific advances in skincare, women in their 40s can look as vibrant as they did in their younger years. Let’s take a look at some common skincare concerns and how to get your best beautiful skin — no drastic procedures required.
Dry Skin at 40s
As we age, oestrogen and progesterone production slow down and your skin cells produce less sebum (or oil); essential to keeping skin looking and feeling soft and supple. Your surface skin cell renewal process also slows down a bit, resulting in a duller, less radiant complexion.
Signs of Ageing Skin
Ageing is a fact of life. Loss of firmness, larger pores
, wrinkles, and dullness may become more visible on your skin.
4 Ways to Take Care of Your Skin For Over 40
- Cleanse Away Impurities. Select a cleanser that exfoliates the skin’s surface. By exfoliating, you are buffing away dead skin cells and helping to unblock pores.
- Moisturizing is Key. Apply a moisturiser with a broad spectrum SPF of at least 15 in the morning.
- Up the Ante with A Serum. Take your moisturization or spot treatment to the next level with a serum. Using it twice a day — in the morning before your moisturiser and in the evening — will drench your skin in moisture. Look for hydrating ingredients like glycerin (which draws moisture from the air into your skin) and Niacinamide or N-Acetyl Glucosamine (which exfoliates and helps minimize the appearance of hyperpigmentation).
- Nighttime is Your Prime Time. Your skin repairs itself at night which makes nighttime moisturization key. A moisturiser with peptides will help speed up surface skin cell turnover and diminish the appearance of fine lines. Peptides in your skincare can also help boost hydration and brighten your skin’s appearance.
- Bright Eyes. Use an eye cream to reduce the appearance of fine lines and minimize the look of hollowing around the eyes. Dab it on with your ring finger, from the inner corner to the outer corner, tapping lightly to give an instant circulation boost to the area.
- Keep up with your anti aging skin care routine and you will have everyone guessing your age.