With age comes wisdom… and an acceptance of what you can and cannot change. While you cannot stop the clock, you can help minimize the toll aging takes on your skin, especially when it comes to the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
What Causes Fine Lines and Wrinkles?
You are more likely to have fine lines and wrinkles if:
How to Help Stop the Appearance of Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- You are exposed to the sun, free radicals through pollution or smoke
- Your mother has or had them
- You are over 40. As we age, production of natural oils, collagen and elastic decreases, leaving skin drier, thinner and less resilient. Fat stored beneath the skin’s surface starts to diminish, causing skin to lose firmness.
Three words: minimize sun exposure. Here’s how:
What You Can Do About Fine Lines and Wrinkles
- Apply a broad spectrum sunscreen of at least SPF 15 daily, winter and cloudy days included. Broad spectrum products filter out both the UVA rays leading to skin aging and UVB rays causing sunburn.
- Sit under an umbrella or in the shade when outdoors
- Protect your face and scalp with a wide-brimmed hat
You can’t stop or reverse the aging process, but you can help reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles with a regular skincare regimen.
- Cleanse your face morning and night to remove makeup, perspiration and grime.
- Apply a moisturiser with SPF daily to prevent further sun damage.
- Try a CC cream with light-reflecting particles to instantly help reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
- At night, use a moisturiser with Niacinamide to exfoliate the top layer of skin. Ingredients like vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate) and vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid) can also help by absorbing surface free radicals that can further damage your skin.
- The skin around the eyes is the first to show fine lines and wrinkles because it is so thin. A hydrating eye cream containing Niacinamide and vitamins B5 and E can help the area appear firmer and smoother.
These tips can help your skin appear fresh, bright and younger looking.