Not sure how to take care of your skin for winter? Here are our tips.
During the winter, our skin faces a whole host of environmental stressors. Plunging temperatures can leave our skin stinging in cold wind, feeling tight and dry from dehydration of indoor heating (which saps moisture from the skin) and lower temperatures. Our skin can suffer redness on the face and broken blood capillaries leaving us looking worse for wear.
Whilst we can wrap our bodies up warm from the elements on a winter walk or during a chilly commute, it is much harder to protect the skin on our faces and it is important to ensure our skin is nurtured.
Whilst most of us know that cold weather dehydrates our skin, it can also weaken the skin’s protective layer and impair its barrier function - meaning it is more easily dehydrated.
Our top tips for winter skin care include:
- Cold weather usually means there is a lack of moisture in the air causing the skin to dry out further, that combined with a biting wind and it’s the perfect storm for dry skin. Heat from radiators and other artificial heat sources can be just as drying on your skin as the cold outdoors. If you can, use a humidifier within the home to add moisture to the air and in turn, into your skin. Ensure you hydrate your skin with a dedicated routine with a day cream featuring an SPF such as Olay Total Effects SPF 30 7 in 1 Anti-Ageing Moisturiser to help prevent UV damage (yes, even in the winter) and ensure you use a dedicated night cream such as Regenerist 3 point Age-Defying Night Cream to prevent dry skin
- Protect your skin with clothing where possible: from a warm hat and gloves to a scarf you can keep your lower face and neck cosy with during cold winters days.
When washing your face, use a dedicated facial cleanser such as Olay Essentials Daily Facial Cloths as opposed to soap to remove dirt and makeup without stripping the skin of essential oils
- Go easy on the hot showers. Whilst it may be tempting to indulge in a long hot shower after being out in the cold, doing so can actually cause your skin to dry out further causing skin irritation. After showering, use a moisturising body wash and apply a rich body lotion immediately after. If you are pressed for time, add an in-shower body lotion as a quick and easy multi-tasker to help with dry skin
- On bright winter days, wear sunglasses with a certified UV rating to prevent squinting which can otherwise lead to wrinkles and crow’s feet showing up prematurely around the eye area. For skin already with fine lines and even deep set wrinkles, we recommend daily use of Olay Pro-Retinol Eye Treatment
- A deeply moisturising night cream is important to help keep skin hydrated and supple. Look for one that contains Glycerin (to draw moisture into skin) and Niacinamide (to help improve skin’s natural moisture barrier) for optimal hydration. We suggest Olay Regenerist 3 Point Age-Defying Night Cream as part of your nightly skincare routine
Here’s to fabulous skin, whatever the season.