Do not let brown spots, blotchy skin and rough texture make you look older than you actually are. Hyperpigmentation, also known as sun or liver spots, is primarily caused by sun damage. The spots can become darker and even multiply as you get older. Ways to Prevent and Treat Hyperpigmentation
The number one way to help get rid
of hyperpigmentation is to limit your sun exposure and always wear sun protection. Here are a few simple, skin-saving strategies:
Ways to Prevent and Treat Hyperpigmentation
- Avoid direct sunlight when possible during the peak hours of 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sit under an umbrella or in the shade when you are outdoors.
- Wear sun protective clothing – like SPF fabrics – when you plan to spend time outdoors.
- Shade your face and scalp with a wide-brimmed hat.
- Apply a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 every day. Broad spectrum filters out both UVA rays that lead to the signs of aging and UVB rays that cause sunburn.
Help reduce the look of brown spots with cleansers that exfoliate the darkened top layers of skin and moisturisers that help to fade the look of dark spots.
- Exfoliating Cleansers. Exfoliating cleansers gently buff skin’s dead layer of skin. Be sure to avoid harsh scrubs which are likely to irritate your skin.
- Key Ingredient: Salicylic Acid. A cleanser with salicylic acid, a gentle and effective exfoliant, can also help keep pores clear. It exfoliates and unblocks the surface of pores for a deep clean.
- A Microdermabrasion Kit or Cleansing Brush. Microdermabrasion kits are safe, at-home treatments. Cleansing brushes are another great alternative that gently exfoliates to reveal smooth and bright skin.
- Spot Treatments- Concentrated spot treatments with Niacinamide and NAG (N-Acetyl Glucosamine) can help exfoliate the top layer of the skin and fade melanin pigmentation.
- CC Creams. Worn under makeup or as a light-weight moisturiser, CC creams help even out skin tone and conceal hyper-pigmented areas.
Though skin hyperpigmentation
can be a natural result of aging, careful attention and preventative care can limit spots from popping up on your skin, giving you a radiant, even complexion.